Window Covering Safety is a Global Issue, not limited to Canada and USA

Maha Sultan Mohammad was 3 years old.  This past Saturday her mother found Maha unresponsive hanging from a window covering cord in their  home located in Dibba, Fujairah.Dibba Al-Fujairah is the name of a settlement in the emirate of Fujairah located on the North east part of the United Arab Emirates. It is geographically part of the Dibba region.

Maha’s father was quoted in the Gulf News Article

“A hospital report stated that Maha had accidentally hanged herself. She got caught up in the bottom curtain string and it was wrapped around her neck. And her mother found her, she was not moving, she was just lying there,” he said, crying.

As I read this article my heart goes out to the family.  This is a world wide issue.  It most likely happens in every single country on earth.  These deaths are so preventable.  If people only knew that cords can KILL and INJURE children, they would not put them in their home.  Please say a prayer for this family.  They are devastated.

When I read the comments to some of these articles it makes me sick to my stomach.  So many are quick to judge these parents.  Well they should have been watching their children.  They should have done this or that.  Well hind sight is 20/20 isn’t it?

“Apparently, the child was playing outside with relatives but then entered the house without her mother noticing her. She climbed in a chair and then got caught in the cord of the window blinds.Noting the child’s absence, Maha’s mother started searching for her. She found the three-year-old girl hanging from her neck, several feet off the ground.”

We as parents cannot watch our children 24/7.  When we child proof our homes we do so thinking our children are in a safe environment.  You can see from the above quote how easy this could happen.  How many of you have found your child doing something they were not suppose to do?  Was that your fault?  No!  Children are curious.  They want to explore.  Caretakers don’t just hover over children while letting the house go to shambles.  We give the child an activity and try to get our chores done.  Some parents put their children to bed and night only to find out they woke up early in the morning and found a cord to play with.  Its not about bad parenting.  Its about having an unsafe product in the home.  Help us spread the word about safety.  We can’t do it without you.